Do I Need IACUC Review?

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approval is required before conducting research and teaching activities involving vertebrate animals if ANY of the following categories apply:

  • Animals involved are owned or leased by TAMU-CC.
  • Research or activities involve free-living vertebrate wildlife, if studies involve more than unobtrusive observation of animals in their natural habitats. Examples include invasive studies and studies with the potential to cause harm or materially alter the behavior of the animals.
  • Research or activities are conducted by TAMU-CC employees in their official roles as faculty or staff members.
  • Research or Activities are performed on property owned, leased, or managed by TAMU-CC.
  • Use of external funds are administered through TAMU-CC.

Submit a request through iRIS.  

  • Login to iRIS.
  • Once logged in, select “Create a Protocol”. 
  • Then select “TAMU-CC IACUC Application” to open the IACUC application.  
  • Complete the online application. In Section 4.0, Submission Type, select “Determination if an IACUC permit is needed.” 
  • Once the application is complete, you will be forwarded to the submission packet.  
  • Attach any supporting documents.  
  • Complete the PI sign-off to submit. 

Animals Covered

Two different laws – the Animal Welfare Act and the Public Health Service Extension Act, implemented by two different federal agencies – are applicable to research and teaching activities involving live animals and differ in the definition of covered species. Please contact the TAMU-CC IACUC if, after reading the FAQ section, you are unsure if your research needs review.

PHS Policy:

Animal - Any live, vertebrate animal used or intended for use in research, research training, experimentation, or biological testing or for related purposes.

A study, that involves the eggs and embryos of vertebrates, is not covered until those eggs hatch. However, larval forms of fish and amphibians are covered.

Animal Welfare Act (USDA Regulated Animals under 9 CFR 1.1):

An Animal can be defined as any live or dead dog, cat, non-human primate, guinea pig, hamster, rabbit, or any other warmblooded animal, that is being used, or is intended for use in research, teaching, testing, experimentation, or exhibition purposes, or as a pet. This term excludes birds, rats (of the genus Rattus), and mice (of the genus Mus) bred for use in research; horses not used for research purposes; and other farm animals, such as, but not limited to, livestock or poultry used or intended for use as food or fiber, or livestock or poultry used or intended for use for improving animal nutrition, breeding, management, or production efficiency, or for improving the quality of food or fiber. With respect to a dog, the term refers to all dogs, including those used for hunting, security, or breeding purposes.

Teaching Activities

The use of animals in educational settings requires IACUC review. Examples include using animals to teach agricultural techniques, animal husbandry, and medical or veterinary procedures.

Review is required even when the results are not intended for publication, will not advance work in another area, or will not contribute to generalizable knowledge (i.e., is “research”).


Click here to learn how to submit an IACUC Determination in iRIS (Coming Soon)