International Academic Activities

Collaborating internationally can touch on export control regulations
in several respects: 

  • Exchange of scientific information with researchers and administrators abroad requires end user screening and export licensing for tangible times and software under ITAR and EAR. 
  • ITAR regulations controls providing a “defense service”. Providing advice, training assistance, or other release of technical data to a foreign national to an article on the USML or providing the same to a foreign national for a military/defense objective with respect to any article, whether or not listed on the USML, will be reviewed.
  • Hosting international visitors as part of this collaboration will need to be screened and restricted from accessing work areas where ITAR items or data is kept or used.

In general, collaborations between university personnel and scholars at foreign institutions or organizations do not require export licenses unless they involve export controlled or restricted research, or involve scholars in sanctioned countries.

Before engaging in an international collaboration, the university needs to determine if export licenses are required and verify that the foreign individual or organization is not a blocked or sanctioned entity (Restricted Party).


Checklist, Course Content Review