FERPA Waiver Form

This form allows a student to grant access to their education records to other entities besides themselves, such as a parent, spouse, etc. This request will remain in effect until revoked by the student.

Your Education Records
The University maintains two types of records: education records and directory information. Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), education records are defined as records that are directly related to a student (such as academic and personal records relating to scholastic, disciplinary, and fiscal matters) and are maintained by an education agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. The information may be recorded in any way, including, but not limited to, handwriting, print, computer media, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, microfiche, and e-mail.

Education records do not include:

  • Records or notes in sole possession of the maker, used only as a personal memory aid and not revealed or accessible to any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record
  • Records made or maintained by physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, and other health professionals and paraprofessionals that are used only in connection with student treatment
  • Employment records (when employment is not contingent on being a student)
  • Records created and maintained by a law enforcement unit
  • Records collected about an individual after that person is no longer a student at A&M-Corpus Christi

About the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) 
Under FERPA, a student has the right to:

  1. Inspect and review their education records 
    Students can inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. Request to amend their education records 
    Students can request to amend any of their education records that they believe are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. Some control over the disclosure of their education records
    Students have the right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is
    • A person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff)
    • A person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent)
    • A person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.
    • A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.
    Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. File a complaint if they feel any of these rights have been violated
    Students can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office 
U.S. Department of Education 
400 Maryland Avenue, SW 
Washington, DC 20202-5901