Licensure Information

Graduate Program - Information on Licensure

Licensure can be sought only after the successful completion of your degree. Most forms of licensure require extra coursework and/or supervised experience. All forms of licensure require submission of references by licensed professionals who know your work, as well as other forms of documentation. The requirements for licensure change frequently, and you should consult the website of the licensing board you wish to apply to for specific details.

Types of Licensure:

Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA)
State Board of Examiners of Psychologists

  • Master's degree primarily psychological in nature - 42 credit hours
  • 450 hours of supervised experience
  • Passage of the EPPP at the 55% level
  • Passage of the Jurisprudence Examination at 80%
  • (Recommendation: Keep copies of course syllabi as licensing boards often require them for documentation)

Licensed School Specialist in Psychology

  • Degree in school psychology or masters in psychology with specified coursework - 60 credit hours
  • Graduate coursework in specific domains of educational psychology
  • Advanced Instructional Design
  • Special Populations and School Operations
  • 1200 hours of supervised experience, 600 of which must be in a public school
  • Passage of the National School Psychology Examination at a score of 660
  • Passage of the Jurisprudence Examination at 90%

Licensed Professional Counselor
DSHS Professional Licensing and Certification Unit

  • Coursework in:
    • human growth and development
    • abnormal human behavior
    • assessment techniques
    • counseling theories
    • counseling methods (individual and group)
    • research
    • lifestyle and career development
    • social, cultural and family issues
    • professional orientation
  • 300 supervised hours of practicum experience
  • Pass the National Counselor Exam
  • Pass the Texas Jurisprudence Exam
  • Temporary LPC license
  • 3000 post graduate supervised hours (requires temporary LPC license)