Traveling Abroad

International Staff and Faculty Traveling Overseas

Visas & Re-entry into the US:  
Foreign national employees holding nonimmigrant visa status (F1, OPT, H1B, J1,TN, etc.), who plan to travel abroad should contact the Human Resources Immigration Coordinator, at least ten (10) business days prior to departure.  Based on your visa status, we will prepare the documents necessary to support visa applications at the U.S. Consulate and/or travel letters for your re-entry into the U.S.
FMI: Contact  HR, Norma Lozano, Immigration Coordinator at Ext 2198.

Export Controls: 
If you are thinking about mixing personal travel with business travel, whether that’s meeting business contacts while in country or taking your university laptop to get caught up on work, here are a few things to remember.  Employees traveling internationally on university business or with university property are responsible for complying with export control laws and regulations which may restrict or prohibit some travel related activities/destinations and require licenses for other activities. When planning a trip abroad, travelers should think about the purpose of their trip, who they plan to interact with, what they will take, where they will go and how long will they be gone when making export control assessments.

What if I want to take university property with me oversees during my personal travel?
If taking university property overseas then you will need to complete 400.01 Form, International Travel. You do not need to fill the 400.01 Form if out if taking personally owned laptops, cell phones, etc. If the purpose of the visit is purely personal, you can select “Other” when stating the purpose of the visit. Then disclose on part 2 what items you will be taking with you.

What if I want to meet with my colleagues while in another country to discuss business?
You will need to complete the 400.01 Form, International Travel and disclose with whom you will be meeting and the purpose of the conversation.

FMI on Export Controls: Contact Office of Research Compliance research.compliance@tamucc.educ

We wish you save travels. 


The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended as legal advice. The Human Resources Department provides immigration administrative support to Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, (the Petitioner or Employer) when it seeks to petition an employment-based petition for a faculty or staff member. We do not represent the employee. Employees are encouraged to consult with an immigration attorney of their choice, at their own expense, for advice on individual immigration matters.