Primary goal: to establish a sense of identity as a writer and as a teacher of writing
Secondary goal: focus on guiding questions, inquiry-based learning
CE: previous experience w/5 class periods for writing workshops
- pedagogically oriented topics
- first two assigned
- last free choice
- volunteers read out loud
- peer workshops--what is good? what needs work?
- Tell me about the most effective teacher (preferably writing/language arts) you ever had?
- Explain your best teaching experience
"teach it as a writing class"
use writing journal for daily writing re: readings and/or prompts or prewrites for essays.
Do writing workship 1/2 time and group work w/planning as teachers
- finished piece of writing (Self as Writer)
- finished piece/plan of teaching groups (incorporation of peer feedback for "teach a lesson") (Self as Teacher)
- A single lesson incorporating TEKS/SELA
- Fit into context of what comes before and after
- Presenting to class
- Digital camera to video presentation & write self-analysis
- Taped all presentations & met individually with each teacher
- Class feedback on presentation
- reflective writing
- finished piece of writing
- 6-week unit plans & presentations
- reflective piece of writing
How to process readings?
- group discussions and facilitations
- individual responsibility for questions
Agenda for year
- Develop a year-long assessment--collect data & see what it shows
- Pre/post questionnaire
- Focus groups and/or individual interviews
- Collect presentations
- Revise curriculum