Today we will...
(1) Discuss Harvey Daniels' "Nine Ideas of Language"
1. Children learn their native language swiftly, efficiently, and largely without instruction.
2. Language operates by rules.
3. All languages have three major components: a sound system, a vocabulary, and a system of grammar.
4. Everyone speaks a dialect.
5. Speakers of all languages employ a range of styles and set of subdialects or jargons.
6. Language change is normal.
7. Languages are intimately related to the societies and individuals who use them.
8. Value judgments about different languages or dialects are matters of taste.
9. Writing is derivative of speech.
(2) Review in small groups in class:
- NCTE Position Statement on "Student's Right to Their Own Language"
- CCCC "National Language Policy"
- NCTE Position Statement "Expanding Opportunities"
(3) Do looping on the LLA.