Please check this daily. I will change the schedule regularly, especially during the first week or two. So don't print this and think you have the schedule!
'Each date is a link to the plan for that class period. Homework is due on the date listed.
Week One-- Course Introduction, Language Arts Standards, Resources, & Multiple Literacies
- Wednesday, Aug 27
- First Day Handout
- Computer Orientation
- Course web site
- Writing Workshop: Free write initial ideas about literacy teaching and learning, about our literacy histories, and about our languages.
- For weekly reflection: read the course materials online. Send questions, comments, fears, and responses to this week's discussions & activities.
Week Two—National and State Standards of Literacy Instruction
- Sep1--Labor Day Holiday
- Sep3—National and State Standards
- Read SELA
Week Three-- Language Arts & Multiple Literacies and Literacies and Language(s) Attitudes, Biases, and Competencies
Week Four—Language and Literacy
Week Five—Writing as Process; Essential Questions
- Sep22—The writing process paradigm
- Sep24-- Early Childhood Literacies; Begin Intel; Discuss Essential Questions
Week Six—Early Literacy
Week Seven: Portfolio One due; Teaching Writing
- Oct6—Portfolio One Due; Planning a Writing Class
- Oct8?—Writing Workshops and Writing to Learn; Intel "Getting Started"
- Oct13—Writing Process; Explanation of Teaching invention
- Oct15—Drafting/Revising/Peer Groups; Explanation of Teaching
Week Nine-- Assessment, Evaluation, and Grading
Week Ten—Assessment & High Stakes Testing
Week Eleven—P2 due; Conferring and Multimedia (Intel)
Week Twelve—Teaching Genres: Poetry and Fiction
Week Thirteen—Teaching Genres: Nonfiction
Week Fourteen—Writing workshop for Portfolio 3
- Nov 24—Writing workshop for P3
- Nov26—Working Day: No class.
- 27—Thanksgiving-- Have a nice holiday!
Week Fifteen—Writing workshop for Portfolio 3
- Dec 1—Bring all your materials & work in groups; share with peers.
- 3—Bring all materials and work in groups; share with peers.
- Dec 8—Last Class Day—Portfolio #3 due.
There is no final exam for ENGL 3360.