Unit 2: How will I teach writing and use writing to teach?
Please note: Students at this point may choose to work in grade level groups. Because students have been starting on the project to develop a semester plan for class of their choice, this second portfolio must include materials to show their progress. We will be sharing and responding to work in progress for the semester plans, and sharing resources.
Portfolio Two Guidelines
- Portfolio 2 will include materials that represent the work we do for Unit 2, in addition to an extensive reflective overview. We'll discuss portfolio contents as a class. But the list below will give you a beginning overview of what will be available for you to include in the portfolio:
- For Unit 2, you will...
- Use a multi draft revision process to produce a Semester Plan Overview.
- Share and respond to work in progress, using online forums and in class peer review groups
- Respond to readings and classmates' responses in our online discussion forums
- Complete various pieces of writing-to-learn
What will we include in Portfolio 2?
- An extensive reflective overview
- Semester Plan Overview
- Experiential Teaching Plan and Report/Reflection (observing a teacher or teaching a child)
- Explanation of Teaching (developed from literacy autobio/reflections, and readings), (1-2 pages, double spaced, maximum).
- Evidence of your full participation in class, which could include:
- evidence of drafting
- evidence of sharing and responding to classmates' work
- evidence of reading (reading responses)
- other aspects of your learning you may want to discuss (work with technology? working in groups? etc.)
- You can submit this portfolio in many different ways, from all electronic to all paper, though the latter is my least preferred. If you have questions about this, please contact me via the listserve.
Please note: For Portfolio 3, you will be required to turn in a semester plan to cover the entire 18 week semester. Each student /group will be responsible for 10 hours of minute-by-minute lesson planning (Middle/ High School 10 hours=2 weeks; Elementary 10 hours = 2 days).