- Rose, Preface-chap. 5 (p. xi-132)
- Reading response, week 2
- Due 2 weeks from today (Feb. 4)!
- Interview/Observation Report
- Who can you go see? Who has a person & is willing to share?
- Be polite, courteous, send thank you note
- Ask permission in advance
- DMC Lab links
- DMC English
- TAMUCC Writing Center
5361 Working Groups Orientation
- I have defined 6 working groups for the class
- I have deliberately mixed up folks with experience teaching composition in college, high school teachers, those w/seminar teaching, and those w/o any teaching experience. I have also mixed philosophical perspectives & gender, so as to get a set of heterogeneous groups.
- In your groups, define the NAME of your group & replace "Group A" with your name.
- Meet each other, and decide who is introducing whom to the class
- Exchange contact info
Discussion of Rose
- In your groups, your are responsible for the topic assigned below. Find specific textual examples to cite. Decide what Rose thinks, what you think, and be willing to present differences of opinion. Expect to present for
- 60's Rock Gods: Who is a basic writer?
- TeamAwesome: Placement/assessment/tracking
- Corn-totin' Moonshiners: Defense mechanisms and/or the self-destructing writer
- We Settled on Old Hat: Teaching writing methods & philosophies of teaching
- Converse All-Stars (E & F): Academic English, language variety, second language learners, and/or "bad" grammar & Politics and policies of basic writing & developmental education
Map the Field
- In your groups, begin a visual representation of the field of composition/bw as you currently understand it.
- Post to mapping the field wiki
- Present if there is time