- Readings due:
- JBW Del Principe “Paradigm Clashes...” (64-81)
- TDW Gibson “From the Peculiar Case...” (100-112)
- Think about research topics & write 1 short paragraph
- Browse online resources and/or BB
- Identify possible topic(s) about which you are interested
In class today, we will....
- Debate format & purpose of basic writing programs/courses.
- Divide into groups, form arguments, perform debate. Possible questions/topics:
- Which model(s) are the best and why?
- What are the goals of a BW program and course?
- How does a BW course serve the needs of a 2-yr, 4-yr, community, the student?
- What is the role of the BW teacher?
- What training should the BW teacher have?
- What assignments should be given?
- What placement/exit measures should be used?
- Group A: Linear/current-traditionalists
- Group B: "Constructivists"
- discuss paragraphs re: research topics.
- Strickland & Strickland, "Education Begins with Philosphy" (copy)
- TDW Maher (56-72) “You Probably Don’t Know...”
- TDW Green (73-82) “My Uncle’s Guns”
- BW chapter 3-4 (33-60)
- MBW, Singer, (copy)