Each of you comes to this class with your individual perspectives on life that shape the way you learn and write. This course is designed to build on your existing literacies and develop your natural skills as writers. As academic writing is one of the most important skills for a student to fully experience college, the purpose for this course is to teach students the necessary skills to be successful in first-year composition. The following are the objectives for this course:
- Develop foundational skills of clear, effective writing, including sentence and paragraph structure.
- Demonstrate an understanding of writing for academic purposes
- Demonstrate an understanding of writing for various real-world situations
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses in writing
- Develop individual writing process
- Take responsibility for own learning