CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Accounting Students at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi are helping low-income families in the Coastal Bend prepare their tax returns throughout the tax season as part of the Internal Revenue Service’s Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
The VITA program offers current accounting students at the university an opportunity to acquire hands-on tax experience working with clients and software in the field.
“Students provide a real, valuable service to members of the Coastal Bend community, while building their own skill set,” said Dr. Valrie Chambers, the VITA project volunteer liaison at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
Most families who earn less than $55,000, military families, and taxpayers over 60 years old are eligible to have their tax returns prepared for free. Anyone needing assistance should bring:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Social Security card or ITIN numbers for taxpayer, spouses and dependents
- Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- If married and filing jointly, both spouses must be present
- All wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Proof of day-care expenses paid including: provider’s name, address, and federal ID number
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns (if available)
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for a direct deposit refund
- Other relevant income and expense information
Locations offering VITA services, through Tuesday, April 15:
- Del Mar College, 101 Baldwin, Venters Business Building: Tuesdays & Thursdays 2:30 – 7 p.m.
- Goodwill Store, 10209 SPID/Flour Bluff: Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon and 1 – 4 p.m., Sundays 1 – 6 p.m.
- Boys & Girls Club on 3902 Greenwood: Tuesdays & Thursdays 3 – 8 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Goodwill Store, 2961 S. Port Avenue: Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays 2 – 7 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. – noon
- Coastal Community & Teachers Credit Union, 1909 Trojan, across from Moody High School: Mondays & Wednesdays 3 – 7 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. – noon
During 2013, the Coastal Bend VITA program prepared 3,102 returns resulting in more than $4.1 million in refunds for the community.
For more information, go to http://www.uwcb.org/